Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rocky Waters


I haven't been posting lately because I have been in a turbulent time and feeling raw and a bit fragile and have lacked the mental energy to write. The picture I have is of me in a boat that is on stormy seas and the waves keep coming! However, more than ever, I feel Jesus AWAKE in the boat with me. He's steering, He's conducting the storm, and He's holding me. I have more peace and deeply held joy than I've ever had. It's all because of His grace.

And that's what I want to draw your attention to today. GRACE.

Did you know that the word GRACE is mentioned over 120 times in the New Testament? And only a handful of the times when highlighted is it referring directly to the act of eternal salvation somewhere in the future (think fly away). All the other times Paul, Peter, John are encouraging us to LIVE NOW in the full experience of God's grace.

EVERY ONE of Paul's letters begins with this phrase..."May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace." And, every one of his letters closes with a phrase of grace. Paul knew that the secret to abiding was the gift of grace. Paul points out again and again that GRACE is a GIFT given by the Father and His Son and then he prays we'd grow in it, stand firm in it, and have it be upon us. The last sentence in the Bible highlights, you guessed it, grace.

Grace isn't just a gift we've received, but it's a way of life we experience in God; every day, all day, for eternity. I can boast in my weakness, because in this place I know the powerful reality of grace. One teacher puts it this way: grace is the enabling power of God in us.

Although I hope the waters calm, my hope is not in the calming of the waters. My hope is in Him. I more deeply hope this understanding of His grace never fades. I hope that I won't forget the intensity in which He's revealed His Presence in this trying season. And, I hope I can spread the news through my life and words how "He is so rich in kindness and grace that He purchased our freedom with the blood of His Son and forgave our sins. He has showered His kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding." (Ephesians 1:7-8).

My 'flesh' wants to pay attention to the waves. My heart, soul, mind and spirit are being attentive to Him (Psalm 123)...and He is proving over and over again that He is able, through His mighty power (grace) at work within me, to accomplish infinitely more than I might ask or think. (Eph.3:20-21)

Glory to Him. Happy New Year. May you live it in grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...