Saturday, March 9, 2013

"This will be a test of your joyful confidence in God."

Read that statement again: "This will be a test of your joyful confidence in God."

John Ortberg mentioned this comment he received from Dallas Willard when he was facing a difficult time. Depending on where you are at today, this quote will either bore you, or grab you. For me, today, it grabbed me.

In many ways, I sense real transformation down deep as far as the true experience of joy in my soul. The fruit of clinging to the Vine, our sustaining Presence of grace. Truly miraculous.

However, I'm being intensely tested again. My dad (83) broke and shattered his ankle last Saturday. After surgery he is not allowed to put weight on his right leg for 8 weeks. Wow. Nurse Grace is called to the front again.

You may be saying, "how wonderful to be able to take care of your father." That's true. But, it's not my first reaction. My first reaction is selfishness which leads to despair, not joy. That's reality. Sometimes truth and reality don't integrate. Herein lies the test.

Rejoice always, in everything give thanks, pray without ceasing...these are the directives that lead to deep, abiding joy when the tests come.

Wake up grumbling, complain all day, don't ask God for help...these are the natural directives of my mind.

I awaken the soul by following the directives of Jesus. So, today, I will rejoice, give thanks and pray, and I am confident that joy will be reaped in my heart and spirit as I sow these seeds.

Thank you Abba for your patience. I will not grow weary in doing good, but will sow your seeds of right-ness by Your strength by listening to Your Voice and resting in Your loving yoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...