Sunday, January 20, 2013

Burst!

When's the last time you burst out of bed radiantly because it's a new day? 
Rejoicing like an athlete eager to run the race? 
This is how God describes the sun rising each day (Psalm 19). 

"God made a home in the heavens for the sun. It bursts forth like a radiant bridegroom after his wedding. It rejoices like a great athlete eager to run the race.
The sun rises at one end of the heavens and follows its course to the other end. 
Nothing can hide from its heat."

He made a home for it and every day it follows its course from one end to the other and 
nothing can hide from its heat.

I hate to admit it, but most mornings I drag myself out of the bed and look forward to returning to it. I am not facing the day with radiance nor am I eager to start running!

Something's gotta change. A new practice must begin so my 'start' can be transformed. My mind needs to be renewed. I want to live in anticipation like a great athlete ready to run.

How? David makes it clear in his journal. Rejoice! Praise! Sing a new song! The sun begins each day rejoicing and so shall I. The sun brings heat even in the coldest of climates and the stormiest seas. Simply by rejoicing, and living in line with how it was created and the reason for its existence.

Am I being too simplistic? I don't think so. My days are also sovereignly mapped out by the Creator, and I exist to bring my own 'heat' to each moment. The life of the Spirit (fire) in me. God has made a home for me and every day I can follow His course and nothing can separate me from His Spirit.

So, my new practice shall be to REJOICE first thing when I wake up; hopefully with my first conscious breath. Giving thanks in all things throughout the day is a very good, life-giving practice. However, rejoicing and praising God early in the morning needs to be my first breath. This practice will bring awareness to my mind and heart that my course is set and my purpose is to follow Jesus all day long. This is why I exist. My joy.

I'm going to start with this 3x5 card next to my bed from Psalm 150.

Praise the Lord!
Praise God in His sanctuary (which is ME! wow!)
Praise Him for His mighty works (name some in the last 24 hours)
Praise His unequaled greatness (review His attributes)
And then...make some noise! Praise Him with blasts, music, singing...even clanging (which my singing can sound like).
Let everything that breathes sing praises to the Lord!
Praise the Lord!

Will you join me? Let's put this into practice and see what takes shape.


2 comments:

  1. I am going to join you! The sun and I are going to begin each day rejoicing...I can hardly wait for morning.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been memorizing Psalm 63, and verse 2 bothered me because I want what I memorize to truly have meaning. David says "I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory." My thoughts were stuck in buildings and temples like in David's time. How silly of me not to realize that I AM THE SANCTUARY! And I really have beheld his power and his glory in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...