Monday, March 7, 2011

Passion for God's house

John 2:13-17
It was time for the annual Passover celebration, and Jesus went to Jerusalem. In the Temple area He saw merchants selling cattle, sheep, and doves for sacrifices; and He saw money changers behind their counters. Jesus made a whip from some ropes and chased them all out of the Temple. He drove out the sheep and oxen, scattered the money changers' coins over the floor, and turned over their tables. Then, going over to the people who sold doves, he told them, "Get these things out of here. Don't turn my Father's house into a marketplace!" Then his disciples remembered this prophecy from Scriptures: "Passion for God's house burns within me."

"Passion for God's house burns within Me."

Living Bread
Jesus, You had no tolerance for personal, selfish gain from what belonged to You and Your protection over it was severe. That was a temple built with human hands---but we are now your temple purchased by Your blood and You are the cornerstone. You are inviting me to see how sacred this house is and how passionate You are about keeping it set apart, holy, for Your purpose. For today: all of it; all of me; my thoughts, actions, attitudes, words, even my emotions are to be completely surrendered to You and Your purpose for me. I naturally want to set up shop and somehow gain selfishly what I foolishly think will bring me reward.
Lord, although I fear Your whip and the violence of Your passion---I invite it---praying I keep my temple cleared out so You don't have to come with such force leaving such a disaster. You graciously give me signals along the way to keep my temple available for Your Spirit...but my sinful nature still resists and tries to deceive me. Help me Lord to feel the same anger and disgust that You do when I allow sin to dwell in me---
gossip, selfish ambition, greed, revenge, outbursts of anger, laziness, fear, judgmental and critical attitudes, pride---Lord Jesus, I need Your passion to rid myself of these things that take up space in my life (temple) and block Your Spirit.
Lord, You are inviting me today to pay attention to the tables I set up that You would knock down and drive out.

8 comments:

  1. Great word pictures. Didn't think of the story in this way before. I so want to clear my temple of sin! I love fellowship with others when it doesn't evolve into gossip and negative conversation. That is why I love getting to know the ladies on our Tuesday morning study. It seems everyone else feels the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO appreciate your gift of teaching! Thank you for always encouraging me in my walk with Christ, as this little tid bit of information has spurred me on for the rest of my day! I long to please God, and have really been grappling with what that looks like in our American culture! I am thankful that he desires relationship with us, and pray with you that he rids my temple of anything that is not pleasing to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Grace. And YOU KNOW I think you should be writing so I am so glad you are opening this window to us. I pray that God will use it in wonderful and amazing ways....that He will mostly know of probably! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny...that picture is a road to your Dad's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! As always, you stretch me! Thanks, Grace.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Grace! I love to hear your heart and how God speaks to you. you always hit it on the nail for me and your words speak to me. thanks, Toni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never thought of this passage in this way either. Thanks, Grace, for giving me new insight into these verses.

    ReplyDelete

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...