Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hope and Fear

I'm waiting for some news today.

I want good news, I fear bad news. I think it will be good news, but what if it's not?
I've been letting the Lord know what I 'wish for' for weeks now concerning this news. 

In my daily reading today, I was led to Psalm 147:1-11. Verse 11 says this:


He takes no pleasure in the strength of a horse or in human might.
No, the Lord's delight is in those who fear Him,
those who put their hope in His 
unfailing love.

Truth: My hope is not to be in circumstantial outcomes---but in Your unfailing (steadfast) love.
Promise: Your delight (joy) resides IN me, when my hope is fixed here and not on what I can see.

My reality: I respond to You with joy when I see circumstances turning out how I wish they would. I give You praise, I thank you sincerely, and I am happy. 
Experience: roller coaster

My response today to His gentle, humble teaching in my heart...
Lord, I feel like I'm barely getting a sip of what this hope embraces and what Your delight in me produces. I confess, I hope in outcomes (horses)...circumstantial evidence that You are on my side. I define Your love by what I see and I hope in things 'working out' how I wish they would---which then leads to me feeling happy and relieved; for now, anyway.
     When A leads to B
     When ______ gets _______
     When I have ________
     When he does ________
     When she stops _______
     When I get _________
It's endless what I fix my hope in as I set my mind there!

As I pray for things/people/circumstances to 'work out' as I've hoped for, or wished for in prayer---and perhaps with a little manipulation thrown in at times, I bow down, submit to, what I fear. I serve what I bow down to. 
IF my hope was truly centered in You---Your steadfast love (kindness, goodness, graciousness, strength) that canNOT fail...I wouldn't fear bad news.
Because my hope would not be OF the outcomes,
but IN Your steadfast love IN the outcomes, no matter what they are.
This hope never fails, it can't disappoint.
And in that posture of HOPE...
     my pride is crucified (that stinky I know best attitude)
     my heart is protected
     Your Joy lives, resides, dwells, illumines me.

That, my friends, is miraculous. That is the GOOD NEWS. Christ living in me, the HOPE of glory. Now. Today. Forever. That is TRUTH.
That is what I LONG for, even as I wish for certain outcomes.


Help me Spirit to walk in Your truth today as I wait.

How joyful (JOY FULL)
are those who fear the Lord...
They do not fear bad news; 
they confidently trust the Lord to care for them. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...