Thursday, March 10, 2011

Right here in the crowd

John 1:19-28
This was John's testimony when the Jewish leaders sent priests and Temple assistants from Jerusalem to ask John, "Who are you? He came right out and said, "I am not the Messiah." "Well then, who are you?" they asked. "Are you Elijah?" "No," he replied. "Are you the Prophet we are expecting?" "No." "Then who are you? We need an answer for those who sent us. What do you have to say about yourself?"
John replied in the words of the prophet Isaiah: "I am a voice shouting in the wilderness, 'Clear the way for the Lord's coming!" Then the Pharisees who had been sent asked him, "If you aren't the Messiah or Elijah or the Prophet, what right do you have to baptize?"
John told them, "I baptize with water, but right here in the crowd is someone you do not recognize. Though his ministry follows mine, I'm not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandal."

Pause here and go through Listening Prayer or at least take a few moments to listen to what you just read.

Living Bread: my invitation
"Right here in the crowd is someone you do not recognize"
Lord, I am not seeing or hearing a clear invitation; but am aware that You show up at the time You've set---and we are no more than a voice saying "You are here." John had no credentials, no title, no 'right' from a human perspective to be baptizing but he was lead by Your Spirit and obeyed Your direction which resulted in serving You with full abandon.
I feel like you are inviting me to do the same---not worrying about how others view me, or where You lead me, but to simply be a voice in peoples lives that says, "You are here."
Apparently, John didn't go through the proper religious channels and protocal---he simply made himself available and spoke the truth which pointed people to You. You brought people to him to hear and respond (repent).
Lord Jesus, today, I believe You want to use me (and all your followers) in the same way---to help people see You and follow You. Give me faith to walk forward with confidence no matter how alone it can feel. Holy Spirit bring people to us, and lead us where You want us to be a voice for You.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grace for sharing your blog with me. I have always appreciated your insight into God's word and His heart. I look forward to being encouraged and challenged by your words.

    ReplyDelete

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...