Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquakes, tsunami and love

in light of what took place in the last 24 hours, I am jumping ahead to my invitation for today (daily manna). I thought it might encourage you as you process what's taking place around the world. Remember, I am just learning with you...I am not an apologist or an expert, just a fellow pilgrim.

Living Bread
John 3:9-21 How are these things possible? Nicodemus asked (speaking of being born of the Spirit).
Jesus replied, "You are a respected Jewish teacher, and yet you don't understand these things? I assure you, we tell you what we know and have seen, and yet you won't believe our testimony. But if you don't believe me when I tell you about earthly things, how can you possibly believe if I tell you about heavenly things? No one has ever gone to heaven and returned. But the Son of Man has come down from heaven. And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life.

For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that eeryone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.

Pause here and go through Listening Prayer or at least take a few moments to listen to what you just read.

God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son

My invitation
Lord, there is so much suffering going on right now---today---around the world. Egypt, Libya, middle east etc., and now the earthquake in Japan and the tsunami raging the Pacific. I feel like Nicodemus who could not understand the earthly things and am unable to understand heavenly things. These disasters (along with personal crisis in homes across the globe!) make me feel unsure, anxious, fearful and at a loss of how to 'explain You.' The devastation is overwhelming---"For God loved the world so much"---Jesus, You plainly told Nicodemus what You are telling me. In spite of what I see and cannot interpret into a pretty little 4 point explanation---YOU LOVE THE WORLD---all of it!
You are inviting me to look at the Son of Man---lifted up so that everyone who believes in Him will have eternal life (v.14-15).
me, "but what about______________???????"
You, "God so loved the world."
Help me Holy Spirit to walk in the truth of Your love today. You're inviting me to rest, watch, pray, be alert. You: Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer of the world, love all of it. I trust You. I can't explain You---but You sent Your love, and I trust You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...