Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sacrifice of Giving Thanks


Psalm 50:23---"Giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors Me. If you keep to My path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God."

God continues to amaze me as I think about how He guides. In this psalm, people are offering all kinds of costly sacrifices in hopes of pleasing and honoring God, and He speaks up with what truly honors Him. Giving thanks.

This just doesn't compute in my mind. I think it should cost everything to honor God. That it should really hurt. Sometimes it does, but more often, it is very simple.

Why does He call giving thanks a sacrifice? I'm not sure, but if we tie it together to Paul's counsel to give thanks in everything, I can make some connection. You see, if I sacrifice what I am feeling sorry for myself in through giving thanks instead of grumbling, worrying, complaining and fretting, I make space in my heart and mind to see and hear God. That honors Him and it brings me salvation. I am saved from my dark self!

I urge you to try it. All day today, when tempted to fret and worry, give thanks. Lay down the comfortable spot you naturally go to, and give thanks.

Look back at something difficult and give thanks. Lay down your 'right' to be angry, hurt, even vengeful...and give thanks. Look ahead to what's daunting, and give thanks. He is already there! This puts us on His path of salvation, rather than our natural path to destruction.

How will you know? His fruit will become self evident. These are the seeds you sow. Seeds sown through giving thanks. Fruit born through His spirit watered by our thanks...
Peace will replace fear
Love will replace vengeance
Joy will replace anxiety
Patience will replace anger
Kindness will replace slander
Goodness will replace selfishness
Self control will replace indulgence
Life will replace death.


This is the path of salvation. Do you need to be saved today? Give thanks.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back!
    Your voice is a blessing!
    Keep on and don't listen to doubt.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to keep giving thanks cheerfully through all the transitions in our lives right now. Change is good--right? I am growing--right?

    ReplyDelete

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...