Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Asleep

Sleeping like a baby

I was captured today by the thought of how and when Peter slept. Read the story for yourself in Acts 12:1-10 (just click on the reference) if you have time. But you probably have heard the story. In a nutshell, Herod killed the apostle James and the Jewish people at that time were thrilled, so he decided to arrest Peter and put him on trial soon (after the Passover). He assigns 16 guards and chains Peter up between 2 of them. The night before his trial, and most likely his death by sword as well, Peter is sound asleep. Let your imagine take you to that scene for just a minute. What if...you were Peter. Would you be sleeping?

I normally have sleep issues, but especially during these days of grieving the loss of my mom and transitioning in to our 'new normal.' Here is some of my reflection of Peter's state:

Lord, as I imagine this scene, I am overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by Peter's 'rest' in You. His deep relationship with You. His trust IN You. His friend and fellow apostle had just been brutally executed for no apparent reason other than for entertainment. Herod decides to arrest Peter for seemingly the same game. Sixteen guards; in chains; waiting his turn for trial; he sleeps. Peter, the one who denied knowing  You, the one who pulled out his sword in the garden, the one who sunk in the lake, the one who went back to fishing for fish etc...sleeps now. How? Things could not look worse or more hopeless for him. Biggest storm, biggest waves, loudest rooster ever. And, he sleeps. The depth of his trust, security, assurance, and peace is clear evidence of His at home-ness in You. Hidden with Christ in God. A soul with a body---not a body with a soul. He has denied his body of rights long ago and now has gained the life of the soul. He has been crucified with you and no longer lives for himself. He slept knowing the outcomes are in Your loving hands for Your glory alone. No panic, no pleading, no petitioning, no apparent anxiety or fatalistic resignation. Just rest. 

How in the world (or in the cell!) was he able to sleep in those circumstances? No Tylenol pm. no grief and trauma counselor on hand, no assurance of anything other than... the assurance of Jesus' Presence with him. The Promise. That sweet, precious promise from Matthew 28 that I forget all the time...and I will be with you always...

Peter learned to make every effort to respond to the Promise, not the pain. Listen to his charge, born of personal experience, that  he wrote in his letter to the church (us!)...
2 Peter 1:3-5
By His divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know Him, the one who called us to Himself by means of His marvelous glory and excellence. And because of His glory and excellence, He has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable YOU TO SHARE His diving nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires.
v. 5 In view of all this make every effort to respond to God's promises.

Lord Jesus, I long to know You and share Your divine nature and escape ME. Corrupted me. You've called me to Yourself-You have made it possible for me to share Your nature. I have received it. Help me to live in that reality. Help me to experience that power. Help me to make every effort to respond to Your call, and not to react to my circumstances. Help me to trust, like Peter, Your plans for my days and nights and to rest in You. Thank you for letting us see the process in Peter's life and the outcomes of abiding IN You. Spirit, remind me often to put my energies (efforts) here! Jesus, you said my work is to trust. Your kindness is incomprehensible as you simply invite me to respond to Your promises. I love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...