Thursday, May 16, 2013

White Space

Color affects our moods.

Color transforms spaces.

I'm thinking about color a lot these days as we are painting our new fixer-upper. My old home had a lot of deep color, dark color, warm color. I loved it, but I don't want it again. Perhaps it's the season I'm in, or the simplicity I'm seeking, but for now, we're going all WHITE. Boring? Maybe. Trendy? I have no idea. For me, it reflects the longing of my soul for room to breathe. These last 2 years have been the most intense yet, and I am crying out for space to breathe. White space. For now, my home will reflect that desire. (I changed the colors on this blog too!)

I wish it were that easy for my mind, heart and soul. Maybe it is?

A zinger comes and all of a sudden we feel out of control. Dark, scary, hurtful. What do we do?

"Come to Me." There He is, again.

I was driving across town the other day when suddenly, despairing feelings (birthed from a simple question by a loving friend) began wrapping their sharp tentacles around my heart. It hurt. I felt anxious, afraid, alone. What do I do Lord?
Don't deny those feelings, they're real. Let them lead you to Me, right here, right now.

That won't help...was my honest response.

"COME"

So, outloud, driving along, I started describing my feelings to the Lord and telling Him why I was justifiably scared. As I went through my montage, throwing in every detail I could think of, my words lost steam. In just a few moments I had nothing left to say. In fact, it all sounded rather silly and unfounded once I voiced it to the Lord. And, I still had a few miles to go! White space!

I heard you, I see you, I know, I love you, I won't leave you, you can trust Me. Move on now...

He didn't talk outloud, but it was loud and clear in my heart. And, by the time I reached my destination, the power of the unspoken was dissolved and the power of the Word was real. In fact, I can barely remember now what I was even worked up about! Oh He's so kind.

I read this morning in Hebrews 7..."I now have confidence in a better hope, through which I draw near to God." "He lives forever to intercede with God on my behalf."

What color reflects you today? Whatever color you're in, I encourage you to draw near. He wants to speak to you. I highly recommend Him as the greatest counselor and dearest friend. Give Him some white space in which to breathe His life into you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...