Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The harvesters are paid good wages

Living Bread: John 4:31-38
Meanwhile, the disciples were urging Jesus, "Rabbi, eat something."
But Jesus replied, "I have a kind of food you know nothing about."
"Did someone bring him food while we were gone?" the disciples asked each other.
Then Jesus explained, "My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing His work. You know the saying, 'Four months between planting and harvest,' But I say, wake up and look around. The fields are already ripe for harvest. The harvesters are paid good wages, and the fruit they harvest is people brought to eternal life. What a joy awaits both the planter and the harvester alike! You know the saying, 'One plants and another harvests.' And it's true. I sent you to harvest where you didn't plant; others had already done the work, and now you will get to gather the harvest."

Pause here and go through Listening Prayer or at least take a few moments to listen to what you just read.

My Invitation
Lord, so many phrases are intriguing to me in this text, so please help me to hear what You want me to pay attention to today.
Lord Jesus, the disciples were urging You to eat and You replied that You have a kind of food/nourishment that they had not experienced---and You were nourished by it. You were experiencing the joy and the good wages of the harvest---a woman brought to eternal life; brought to a personal, intimate relationship with You, Messiah!
O Lord, I feel as clueless as the disciples. I have not fully experienced this true satisfaction of doing Your will. I have not experienced the wealth of reward from working whole heartedly in Your fields which the God has prepared. I get consumed with my needs---what to eat, how to make sure I'm satisfied---but You have rich rewards---wages prepared for me as I fully engage with You in Your work. What JOY is there to be had! I confess this is nourishment I know very little about...and am not sustained by. you are inviting me today to take the blinders off (to wake up and look around v. 35) and see Your will all around me. This is why I am here. To do Your will! As the Father sent You, Jesus, so You have sent me. And, You will faithfully guide me to the fields that are ready to be harvested. This is the richest of fare that money can't buy. This is the drink for the day that truly satisfies.
You're inviting me to pay attention to where You've been; where seeds have been planted and to be there ready to bring people in to a relationship with You=eternal life. To eat this food: not off shopping in the village to satisfy my earthly desires, but attuned to You---doing Your will and experiencing the richness of Your harvest.
Lord, today, help me to not worry or listen to the voices around me urging me to eat what this world says will satisfy (feeding my ego)---but to sincerely seek and do Your will and recieve the rich pay off only You can give. Lord, I've nibbled at that table, but You're inviting me to a feast. Only by Your grace, only by Your power, only because of Your mercy---I come. Increase my hunger for Your food.


1 comment:

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...