Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vulnerability


Steve keeps asking me if I've posted anything on here lately...so I promised I would. It's crazy how insecure I get around this challenge. SO, I thought that may be a good place to begin. Let me ask you...is there something you 'feel led' to do that scares you to death? Something that may expose a part of you that others haven't seen? A vulnerable place? What's it going to take to get you to take that next step?

I found a journal entry this morning written on a pad
of paper on a day when I couldn't find my real journal (no date). It was about the woman at the well from John 4:39-42.
This was her testimony,
"He told me everything I ever did." (how vulnerable must she have felt?)
The people in her village heard the message and believed. And then...
They heard Him themselves and believed in the Messiah.

What a great story! This is OUR story! We hear about Jesus and then we hear Him ourselves. If we listen well, He will tell us everything we need to know about ourselves and then that exposure becomes a light for others to see Him.
"Lord, this woman must've had a terrible reputation in the village. A woman, first of all, would have no voice--and an adulterous woman would be scorned and rejected; but here she is...and many believed in You because of her story. Her testimony about hearing from You. She was transformed!

She became, through knowing You and realizing she is known by You---a woman of passion with a story to share. The story didn't center around her sin, but around You. Her experience of You gave others a thirst to hear from You themselves...so they came to You. She became so filled up with your living water that the vulnerable vessel held no more power over her.

You stayed for two days! You were actively available to those who wanted to hear. You harvested the prepared field. You weren't in a hurry to get to a more significant, important place or meeting (how often I feel like I am a disruption to people and make people feel the same!)
These were ordinary village people with ordinary, daily lives. That day, they became true worshippers. In spirit and in truth. She became light and it spread.

Thank you Jesus for WHO You are. I love the fact that You are no respecter of persons---You show no favoritism. Every soul is Your beloved creation in whom You long to live and become a fresh, bubbling spring filling us with eternal life which will easily spill over to others in our village. You're inviting me to live intimately with You. Listening for Your voice in all tender areas of my heart. You want me to tell others what You have to say...how You long to love them."

What's your story? Do you feel like you have nothing to say? Don't depend on your salvation testimony. Jesus wants to bubble new springs from you to offer the weary around you. Do you need to sit down and listen to Him for yourself? You put yourself in position to be filled by Him, and He will do the rest...and you will be overcome with joy.

Turn off the computer, the phone, the t.v.; close the book, tell the kids you are on time out for 20 minutes. Sit down, take a deep breath, and check the status of your spring. Is it dry? Open your Bible to John 4:10...

Now, listen to Jesus say to you..."If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask Me, and I would give you living water."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...