Thursday, July 14, 2011

Truth Telling: random

One of my family members is known for candidly speaking the truth, which most of the time is delightful. We've had lots of discussion on the topic of when critical truth telling is necessary. Not that it's ever okay to lie, but are there times when speaking the truth is more harmful than helpful? Obviously, yes. But that doesn't mean truth telling that wounds isn't at times the right way to follow Jesus. He was the master at it. We need to carefully follow Him if we are to speak truth to our friends and loved ones in the same manner as our Master.

I recently read this acronym (which I know can be cheezy, so forgive me) that I find helpful...especially when I'm trying to follow Jesus in responding to those closest to me where I can get careless. Phil Calloway gives this acronym for truth telling:

THINK...

Is it True? Is it Helpful? Does it Inspire? Is it Necessary? Am I Kind about it?

I think that's helpful. And, that's the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...