Wednesday, March 16, 2011

He knew human nature

Living Bread: John 2: 23-3:8
Because of the miraculous signs Jesus did in Jerusalem at the Passover celebration, many began to trust in him. But Jesus didn’t trust them, because he knew human nature. No one needed to tell him what mankind is really like.

There was a man named Nicodemus, a Jewish religious leader who was a Pharisee.After dark one evening, he came to speak with Jesus. “Rabbi,” he said, “we all know that God has sent you to teach us. Your miraculous signs are evidence that God is with you.”

Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the Kingdom of God.” “What do you mean?” exclaimed Nicodemus. “How can an old man go back into his mother’s womb and be born again?”

Jesus replied, “I assure you, no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives birth to spiritual life. So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the Spirit.”

Pause here and go through Listening Prayer or at least take a few moments to listen to what you just read.

My Invitation

v. 24 But Jesus didn't trust them, because He knew human nature

Lord Jesus, people were beginning to trust in You---but You didn't trust them because You know human nature. Wow Lord, I've never noticed this but it in some weird way it brings me comfort and perspective as I deal with people in my life that disappoint me, most often myself! You're inviting me to see that it's foolish to put faith or home in humans who are by nature unfaithful. As I am! The actions of those who trusted You and then turned on You brought You grief, but didn't rock Who you were or why You walked the earth. There is really freedom in this truth.

Freedom for me to know You know me so well and You know I am unfaithful---and you still love me and serve me and lead me and forgive me and bless me etc.---daily grace---which brings me freedom to walk through the failures and disappointments brought to my life by others, feeling the pain, but not putting my trust in them to the point that their choices have power over my state of being; my identity; my fullness in You.

You're reminding me today to trust in You alone; experiencing Your grace which is sufficient to cover my human-ness and powerful and abundant enough for me to extend (overflow) Your grace on to other humans like me.


3 comments:

  1. Obviously this is a message that God wants me to hear! First a sermon at our central coast church, then a sermon at our Bay Area church, then a discussion with a sister in Christ and good friend in Danville and now reading this blog of yours. I need to keep remembering to put my trust in Christ alone so as not to be disappointed in myself and others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christi. Your words encouraged me today. It is a test to keep our focus on the right face, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...