Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jesus, tired from the long walk, sat wearily beside the well

Living Bread John 4:1-10
Jesus knew the Pharisees had heard that he was baptizing and making more disciples than John. So he left Judea and returned to Galilee.
He had to go through Samaria on the way. Eventually he came to the Samritan village os Sychar, near the filed that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. Jacob's well was there; and Jesus, tired from teh long walk, sat wearily beside the well about noontime. Soon a Samaritan woman came to draw water, and Jesus said to her, "Please give me a drink." He was alone at the time because his disciples had gone into the village to buy some food.
The woman was surprised, for Jews refuse to have anything to do with Samaritans. She said to Jesus, "You are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan woman. Why are you asking me for a drink?"
Jesus replied, "If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask me, and I would give you living water."

My Invitation:
Lord, having just made my list of what's ahead of me for the next 2 months---it stood out to me that You too felt tired and weary--and You sat down wearily. Busy in ministry, dealing with Pharisees and their religious bondage; long walks (you were physically tired) and now entering or returning to Galilee (looking ahead to more!) You understand how I feel---but more importantly, You are teaching me how to live in the reality of walking IN You; trusting You to guide me and fill me with the living water that only You can serve.
You understand when I sit down wearily and tired; when I look ahead and feel overwhelmed. You are inviting me to see You at the well beside me. Lord, I don't want to read into this story---but I want to live in it with You---and see and hear You here. I want to learn to live how You teach...humbly and gently. You sat down, You were tired and weary. I don't know how long You were resting there before the woman showed up, but when she came, You were ready to meet her and serve her. You, the Living Water, poured out again.
"If you only knew the gift God has for You." What a tender, sweet, powerful invitation or revelation. That's the central theme of all I do and why I live---to offer this amazing gift to all You lead me to or bring to me! But first, daily, hourly, primarily, I must live in that gift. I must be experiencing that living water. I must be honest when I'm tired and weary and sit down by Your well with You and drink deeply so when the 'needy' people come around, I can overflow You. Lord, it's hard to get up early in the morning---to come and eat and drink of You---but it is priceless; abundant and life-giving. I am a fool to stay away; to stay in bed.
You sat by Jacob's well---on Joseph's land. I wonder what that stirred in You Jesus? Thank You for knowing my life---no one else does---and You're there with me, inviting me to experience the gift of Your Spirit in every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...