Thursday, August 23, 2012

They Got into the [only] Boat

I had such an amazing time in the Living Word this morning, I just had to share. Can you can relate to this encounter as profoundly as I do!

John 6:16ff (just after the feeding of the 5000 and Jesus goes into the hills by himself). "That evening Jesus' disciples went down to the shore to wait for him. But as darkness fell and Jesus still hadn't come back, they got into the boat and headed across the lake..." (verse 22 says they took the only boat).


Ok. Stop there. Intentions are good. "I'm going to be patient and wait on the Lord...hmmm, it's getting dark. Maybe He's not coming, oh shoot, there's only one boat left, if I don't grab it, I'll be left here all alone...NOT where I want to be. Hurry up Jesus! Others are saying 'get in, it's fine.' I hate the dark, I can't see where I'm going. I should just wait, He'll bring His light, but ohhhh, it's uncomfortable...move over, I'm climbing in."


V. 18; soon a gale swept down upon them, and the sea grew very rough.

"Why did I get in this boat? This is so scary! I don't belong here...I made a BIG mistake, but I can't go back now, I'm caught up in this storm! I'm an idiot. Why did I rush? Why didn't I just wait like I said I would? When will I learn? Why do I follow the crowd? How could I just leave Jesus behind?"

You get the idea...can you relate? You know the rest of the story. Jesus does still pursue them and brings peace that only the I AM possesses.

Here's my invitation for the day; my daily bread...
Jesus, You're inviting me to learn a lesson from these disciples---to not get in the boat (make any decision or movement) until Your lamp is clearly lighting my path. To not make decisions in the dark---to wait on You. I don't need to live in rough waters in order to see You. You walk with me---You shepherd me through the dark valleys. You never send me off alone to row for miles in rough waters without You. Oh Jesus, thank You. Help me not to jump in the nearest boat because the darkness scares me. Spirit---give me strength to wait.

I'm finding that it's the little boats as well as the big ones that lead to rough waters without His Presence with me. Conversations, comments, attitudes, use of time, energy, words, commitments, etc. My ego and fear lead me to stormy waters. His Presence always leads to peace and rest even in the most intense days of my life.


1 comment:

  1. This was my reading this morning as well. I love your insight into this passage, really has made me ponder how often I get into the boat instead of waiting.....I think I am always afraid that "I'll miss the boat"..ha. I so want to learn what it means to Wait for the Lord....I loved your application and invitation...

    ReplyDelete

Forty and Flying Free!

Celebrating life being different for our daughters at 40 than it was for many of us. My oldest daughter turned 40 this week. At one point in...